1. MARCH 2019 is the first month in the term of Chancellor Larry Digal. His key staff consists of professors Aurelia Luzviminda "Luz" Gomez and Nilo Oponda as vice-chancellors for administration and academic affairs, respectively. Professors John Bengan, Jackie Lou Tagubase, and Maria Teresa Escano will head the offices of the university registrar, human resource, and student affairs, respectively.
2. MARCH 4, 2019 was the first flag ceremony with Chancellor Larry Digal. In his remarks, the Chancellor Larry asked that everyone make use of the time during flag ceremony to discuss desired improvements such as in wellness or communication. He said that during his consultations the most common problem that arose was communication. He asked for everyone to contribute to better communication through announcements during flag ceremony such as new policies, or reminders of old policies, or updates in existing programs, or the revival of desired practices. He welcomed the initiative by HRDO for some exercise time.
Chancellor Digal's top agenda is REAPS: Reinforce the teaching-research-extension-production continuum; Enhance existing undergraduate and graduate programs and develop at least two new graduate programs; Accelerate research productivity; Prime and improve organizational capacity and administrative efficiency; Strengthen programs to develop a culture of teamwork, sense of community, health and wellness, and a better appreciation of the arts.
March is the International Women's Month and events on this theme are to be expected. March 16 is the Araw ng Dabaw and UP Mindanao will be part of the city parade. UP Mindanao will contribute to public awareness for Halalan 2019.
3. SEARCH FOR DEAN
Assoc. Prof. Pedro A. Alviola IV was appointed Dean of the School of Management by the UP Board of Regents on its 1343rd Meeting on 28 March 2019, "effective 28 March 2019 to 27 March 2022".
The call for nominations for the next dean of the School of Management (SOM) was opened in 4 March 2019. Nominations should be submitted along with the complete documents to the Office of the Chancellor, on or before the deadline on 15 March 2019, 4:00PM. On March 25, 2019 at CHSS Audio Visual Room are the Interviews and Public Meetings. On 26 March 2019 will be the submission of the report of the Search Committee to the Chancellor.
82nd ARAW NG DABAW
4. U.P. MINDANAO JOINED THE 82nd ARAW NG DABAW PARADE on 16 March 2019 with a delegation of non-teaching and teaching personnel as part of its commitment to offer affordable quality education, scholarly research, and public service to Mindanao and the neighboring regions. The delegation contributed good cheer and accommodated media coverage during the parade.
5. THE ARAW NG DAVAO Interschool Swimming Competition held at Ateneo De Davao University saw the UP Mindanao Swim Varsity Team win a total of 5 GOLD, 7 SILVER and 6 BRONZE MEDALS, as follows: Bhazel Anne Acac (3BSFT)- 4 GOLD and 2 SILVER; Juan Antonio Mendoza (4BSABE)- 1 GOLD, 3 SILVER and 2 BRONZE; Xenita Daniele Co (2BSArchi)- 1 SILVER, 1 BRONZE; Karl Paolo Gelito (1BSFT)- 1 SILVER and 1 BRONZE; Joshua Miguel Diaz (1BSAnthro)- 1 BRONZE; Bea Matanguihan (1BSArchi)- 1 BRONZE
6. UPMIN FOOTBALL CUP was organized by the UPMin Football Varsity and held on 16-17 March 2019 in the DC-UP Sports Complex Football Field. The 9-a-side qualifying round had the following results: Champion- DAVRAA-PALARO TEAM; 1ST Runner-Up -- PCT-MEDVIL FC; 2ND Runner-Up-- SOUTH-SHIELD FC; 3RD Runner-Up -- CATHIANA HEARTS FC; Special Award for Best Striker -- FFRANK DELA PEÑA; Best Midfield -- JOSHUA ROMERO; Best Defender -- JERICHO ROMERO; Best Goal Keeper -- ZANE GARFIN; Most Valuable Player -- ZANE GARFIN
7. STOP Rabies free vaccination and media launch
STOP Rabies, a public health research program, will hold a vaccination campaign and media launch on 25 March 2019, in UP Mindanao, Mintal, Davao City, in celebration of Rabies Awareness Month. The STOP Rabies program intends to use science-based evidence to help improve local policies and strategies on rabies control and management for a rabies-free Davao City. The Vaccination Campaign will be held at the Kalimudan Covered Court where registration for pet owners is at 7:30AM onward, to be followed by zumba exercise and fun ice-breakers. "Responsible Pet Ownership" will be discussed by veterinarian Dr. Bayani Vandenbroeck at 8:30AM. The free vaccination and castration session for pets will be held until 11:30AM. Afterwards, the Media Launch will be held at 1PM in the nearby Lorenzo Hall in the Administration Building. Chancellor Larry Digal will open the program and an audio-visual presentation will follow. A talk on "Rabies Updates in the Philippines" will be given by Dr. Maria Nerissa Dominguez, National Professional Officer of the Office of the World Health Organization Representative in the Philippines. The STOP Rabies program milestones, to date, will be presented by the project leaders. The launch of the website and social media sites will culminate the event. The interested public is invited to attend, free of charge.
STOP Rabies is funded by the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) through the Discovery-Applied Research and Extension for Trans/Inter-disciplinary Opportunities (DARE TO) Research Grants program. The DARE TO grants aims to deliver innovative research work through collaboration among higher education institutions, which, in the case of the STOP Rabies program, are UP Mindanao and the Davao Medical School Foundation, in partnership with the Office of the City Veterinarian and the City Health Office.
8. SUMMARY EVICTION OF INFORMAL SETTLERS
The summary eviction of 15 informal settlers was conducted by the City Demolition Office under the City Engineer’s Office of the City Government of Davao on March 21, 2019. This is pursuant to the implementation of the government infrastructure projects with the Department of Public Works and Highways District II and Region XI, as the implementing agencies. These government infrastructure projects are: (a) PhP 150 Million Road Network; (b) PhP 100 Million Campus Improvement and Site Development; and (c) PhP 34 Million Completion of UP Mindanao-Manambulan Road. This is in coordination with the Philippine Commission on Urban Poor (PCUP), City Social Services and Development Office (CSSDO), Commission on Human Rights (CHR), and Philippine National Police (PNP), among others. This was implemented pursuant to Republic Act No. 7279 (An Act to Provide for a Comprehensive and Continuing Urban Development and Housing Program, Establish the Mechanism for its Implementation, and for Other Purposes). The summary eviction was implemented in strict compliance with the substantive and procedural due process as set forth by the aforementioned law. Series of dialogues and conferences were conducted prior to the conduct of the summary eviction. The informal settlers were also offered financial assistance and temporary relocation areas, among others. Despite these, the informal settlers refused to voluntarily demolish their illegal structures. Out of the 21 affected informal settlers, only 15 were summarily evicted due to their refusal to voluntarily demolish their illegal structures and accept the compromise agreement as offered by the implementing agencies.
Additional postings will be provided as they become available.