CALENDAR OF EVENTS
02 DECEMBER CARIM Talks
04 DECEMBER Pa-ilaw, lighting of the university Christmas lanterns
07 DECEMBER Last day of classes
10-11 DECEMBER Final examinations, 1st Semester, AY 2019-2020
10 DECEMBER Davao City councilor Antoinette Principe-Castrodes to present resolutions in support of UP Mindanao expansion
17 DECEMBER Training on Record Keeping, 8:30AM, CHSS Mini-Theater Room
17 DECEMBER Public Lecture of Balik-Scientist Dr. Nomar Waminal, “Plant Cytogenomics in the post-genomics era,” 1PM, Room 206-208, College of Science and Mathematics
18 DECEMBER Balik-Scientist Public Lecture of Dr. Nomar Waminal, "Green, green grass of home: A blue ocean for Philippine plant cytogenomics research," 9:30AM, Mini-Theater Room, College of Humanities and Social Sciences
[SEE THE CHANCELLOR'S REPORT TO THE PRESIDENT'S ADVISORY COUNCIL HERE]
CARIM TALKS, 2 DECEMBER
To celebrate the Mindanao Week of Peace, the UP Mindanao Center for the Advancement of Research, development and engagement in Mindanao (CARIM) and the Department of Humanities held the CARIM TALKS forum on 2 December 2019 in UP Mindanao. Ms. Manal Jingona Sugadol, a mobile journalist for "Stand for Truth" television program of GMA News and Public Affairs, was the featured speaker on the topic of "Mobile journalism: Using the mobile phone to expose social issues." Ms. Sugadol related her experiences that led to her career as a mobile journalist and shared some characteristics of quality journalism. Ms. Sugadol's talk was followed by a discussion with a panel composed of Ms. Zea Io Ming C. Capistrano, a former student leader of UP Mindanao, Mr. Karlos Manlupig, a correspondent of Philippine Daily Inquirer, Mr. Enrimand Esmer L. Dejeto, a photojournalist for MindaNews and Agence France-Presse, and Mr. Julius Neil Piala, a faculty member of the UP Mindanao Department of Humanities. An open forum allowed members of the audience to participate in the discussion.
The forum culminated in an awarding ceremony for the "Peace of Art" poster-making competition that was held earlier in the day. The Vanessa Mendoza of Holy Cross of Mintal High School, Bridget Canson of Mintal Comprehensive National High School, and Cara Kianna Natino of Los Amigos National High School won first, second, and third prize, respectively. University Extension Specialist Michael Gatela gave thanks on behalf of the organizers in the closing remarks. Mr. Renz Ybanez and Ms. Maya Miclat served as emcees.
PA-ILAW, 04 DECEMBER
Kasadya Pa-ilaw, the lighting of the university Christmas lanterns was held on 4 December 29129, 4-6PM, with the theme: "Paglaum ug kahayag taliwala sa katalagman, dungan natong isaulog karong kapaskuhan." The Kasadya committee sent the message, "Let us all make this year's celebration more meaningful by bringing your gifts for the affected children of recent earthquakes in Makilala."
CHRISTMAS GIFTS FOR MAKILALA CHILDREN
University of the Philippines (UP) Mindanao personnel delivered Christmas cheer to children displaced by the Mindanao earthquakes on 7 December 2019 in an evacuation center in Makilala, Cotabato province. The team was received by Makilala Mayor Armando Quibod, local alumni and officials. Boys and girls sang songs and chanted cheers in the big tent facilitated by instructor Julius Neil Piala. Some 300 children received loot bags with snacks, gift bags with toys, and prizes of coloring books from the UP Mindanao team. In addition, the team turned over 52 solar-powered lamps to the evacuation center officials. In parting, UP Mindanao chancellor Larry Digal gave a Christmas message to the residents for equality in compassion. The gift-giving originated from the UP Mindanao Pahinungod call on 8 November for donations for residents displaced by the earthquakes. The UP Mindanao community reinforced this call with gifts donated on 4 December in the Kasadya Christmas celebration on the theme “Paglaum ug kahayag taliwala sa katalagman, dungan natong isaulog karong kapaskuhan.”
The Christmas offering contributed to the mix of UP's multi-disciplinary response to the affected province, ranging from scientific to psycho-social services.
Upon departure from the site, the UP Mindanao team welcomed the return of a team from the UP National Institute of Geological Sciences led by director Mario Aurelio who arrived to undertake further scientific studies.
Prof. Larry N. Digal, PhD
1–30 November/ 1-7 December 2019
Chancellor’s Report to the President’s Advisory Council
• 03 November, Ugnayan ng Pahinungód made the Call for Donations for Earthquake Victims; a conduit for cash donations was opened on 8 November
• 06 November, the UP Mindanao Task Force on Mindanao Earthquake Response was created, chaired by Pahinungód OIC Michael Gatela
• 08-09 November, the Task Force assisted the UP NIGS and UP RI science team visit to Makilala, Cotabato province
• 13 November, it helped UP RI, UP Vanguard make arrangements in Makilala in preparation for the arrival of tents donated by SOS Attitude, with assistance from alumni in the region
• 16 November, donations of assorted relief items were turned over to alumni of Cotabato province
• 19 November, facilitation of the arrival of Pahinungód psychosocial and medical teams from UP Cebu, UP Visayas, and UP Manila; and orientation by professor emeritus Elizabeth Ventura
• 20-21 November, delivery of assorted donations and provision of psychosocial services to adults in Santos Land evacuation site, Makilala
• 27 November, UP Mindanao gives training-workshop on psychosocial services for guidance counselors and health professionals from Davao City partner-schools, with professor Ventura as resource person
• 04 December, students and staff donate gifts of toys for children of Makilala at the UP Mindanao Christmas Pa-ilaw celebration
• 06-07 December, purchasing and packing of gift items and transport to Makilala; distribution to 300 children in Santos Land evacuation site, with the participation of the UP Mindanao Execom.
At the UP Laak Land Reservation [Compostela Valley], the Land Reservation Office organized the On-site Training on Basic Plant Propagation Techniques, held on 28 November 2019 in Barangay Talle, for some 33 participants from the Dibabawon tribe and local migrants.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences held Pag-aboll: Facets of Mindanao, 1st Mindanao Studies Interdisciplinary Research Conference on 7-8 November 2019 in Davao City. Research presentations and keynote talks were given from the disciplines of human kinetics, literature, communication, social sciences, commerce, and architecture.
Interactive Learning Center/Learning Resource Center organized the Module-Writing Workshop on 11-12 November with Dr. Rotacio Gravoso of Visayas State University as resource person.
The 9th International Conference on Agribusiness Economics and Management (ICAEM 2019) was organized by the School of Management on 13-15 November 2019 at the Waterfront Insular Hotel, Davao City. The event was organized with support from the Center for the Advancement of Research, development, and engagement in Mindanao (CARIM), UP Mindanao.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences held a public forum entitled The Enduring Legacies of Social Action in Mindanao: 1976 to 1986 on 27 November 2019 with anthropologist and UP Diliman chancellor Dr. Michael L. Tan who shared his recollections of working in the community-based health programs in Mindanao in the 1970s and about the upcoming universal health care law to be implemented in 2020.
A turn-over ceremony for a copy of the Encyclopedia of Philippine Art from UP Diliman to UP Mindanao was held on the same occasion. UP Mindanao faculty members who served as contributors or editors to the Encyclopedia were recognized: Asst. Prof. John Bengan, Lecturer Emmanuel Nabayra, Assoc. Prof. Jhoanna Lynn Cruz, and Asst. Prof. Jay Jomar Quintos.
A delegation of eight BA Communication and Media Arts (BACMA) students and faculty member Ms. Merle Dawn Comidoy-Acol joined the 4th Philippine College Radio Congress (PCRC) in UP Diliman on 26-28 November 2019.
UP Mindanao organized the Lectures of DOST Balik Scientist Awardee Dr. Benito O. de Lumen on 8, 11, 18, and 29 November 2019 in UP Mindanao, University of the Immaculate Conception, and Brokenshire College, all in Davao City.
A paper on bat Coronavirus by Nikki Vanesa Tampon and adviser Prof. Lyre Anni Murao wins Best Oral Presentation.
Zairel Crish Sarillana and adviser Dr. Fundador and Shaina Lou Palar (below) tied for Third Place (Poster Category)
Poster on bacteria from bats by Hinsdale Mae Gamolo and adviser Prof. Aleyla De Cadiz wins 2nd place in poster presentation
The storybook “G'day, Mate: ACIAR Filipino Alumni Stories" published by the Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research was given a book-launch on 13 November 2019 at the ICAEM. UP Mindanao researchers who are featured in the book are Chancellor Larry Digal, Researcher Marilou Montiflor, Prof. Glory Dee Romo, and Sr. Lecturer Anne Shangrila Fuentes. The photo shows the featured alumni who attended the launch.
UP Mindanao hosted the board meeting of the Davao Colleges and Universities Network on 20 November where the psychosocial training-workshop for guidance counselors of member-schools was approved.
"Break the Silence, End the Stigma: Let's Talk About Mental Health" lecture-forum was held on 11 November 2019 in UP Mindanao for about 200 students with a keynote by Davao City councilor and City Council Committee on Health chairperson Mary Joselle Villafuerte, MD (front row, fifth from right).
The Anti-Red Tape Committee organized the Seminar-Writeshop on Republic Act 11032, the “Ease of Doing Business and Efficient Government Service Delivery Act of 2018” on 25-26 November 2019. The consequent Citizen’s Charter produced from the write-shop were submitted to the UP System.
The Office of Gender and Anti-Sexual Harassment facilitated and did data collection for the UP System Gender Audit implemented by the UP Center for Women and Gender Studies; completed a survey that revealed a strong interest for the establishment of a child-minding facility to be paid for by parents, with a prospective location within the College of Humanities and Social Sciences (CHSS).
“Consumer Preference for Credence Attributes of Fish and Fishery Products, Davao City, Philippines” by Castro, MMC, Pabuayon, IM, Catelo, SP, & Camacho, JDV was presented during the 57th Philippine Economic Society Conference on 7 November 2019 in Quezon City, Philippines. Prof. Castro received an award for “Best Paper”.
• “Assessing the physical fitness profile of first-year students,” by Ma. Stella R. Salazar
• “Pastoral retreat and return in the Ulahingan Sengedurug,” by Antonino S. de Veyra
• “Lugar Lang: Finding my place in Davao through the opinion column,” by Jhoanna Lynn B. Cruz
• “Effect of gamification [gaming] of education in service physical education,” by Albert Francis T. Ramos
• “Sports facilities management strategies of local government units and educational institutions in Davao Region,” by Miguel Rodriguez and Michelle Panis
• “Community-based risk communication management on flooding in urban areas,” by Karen Joyce G. Cayamanda
• “Night market as lived space: The case of Davao City,” by Raymundo R. Pavo
• “Form analysis of provincial government buildings in Mindanao,” by Nory P. Pernes
• “An inquiry into the trope of ‘engkanto’ in Shake, Rattle, and Roll films,” by Jay Jomar Quintos
• “False risk communication in the news coverage of the dengvaxia crisis,” by Juven Niño Villacastin
• “Framework on selection criteria for the seat of government of the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao,” by Makmod Pasawilan
1. “Factors Affecting the Logistical Costs of Cavendish Banana Farmers in the Philippines: Implications to Profitability” by Placencia, SGP, Astronomo, IJT, Loquias, MP, Digal, LN, Balgos, CQ, Orbeta, MLG, & Sarmiento, JMP.
2. “Assessing the Production and Marketing Systems of Smallholder Goat Value Chains in Davao Region, Philippines” by Ebarle-Bangcaya, EJN, Placencia, SGP, Alviola IV, PA, Sarmiento, JMP, & Manila, JP.
3. “Sustaining Support to Vegetable Farmers and Partnerships” by Montiflor, MO and Real, RR.
4. “Factors affecting the choice of credit source of Cavendish banana farmers in Davao del Norte, Philippines” by Loquias, MP, Astronomo, IJT, Placencia, SGP, Orbeta, MLG, Digal, LN, & Balgos, CQ.
5. “Credit Access and Technical Efficiency of Cavendish banana Growers in Santo Tomas, Davao del Norte, Southern Philippines” by Astronomo, IJT, Sarmiento, JMP, Loquias, MP, Placencia, SGP, Balgos, CQ, Orbeta, MLG, & Digal, LN.
6. “Technical Efficiency of Smallholder Backyard Goat Farming in Davao Region, Philippines” by Jonna Belle D. Hollite, Pedro A. Alviola IV, Exegesis Jedidiah E. Bangcaya, Jon Marx P. Sarmiento, & Lemuel O. Calatrava.
7. “Value Chain and Production Efficiency Analysis of Small-scale Seaweed Farming in Ipil, Zamboanga Sibugay, Philippines” by Orbeta, MLG, Balgos, CQ, Codog, PEL, & Digal, LN.
8. “Consumer Behavior and Retail Outlet Choice for Seafood in Zamboanga City, Philippines” by Callanta, DSA, Romo, GDA, Sarmiento, JMP, & Alviola IV, PA.
9. “Microfinance on Rural Farming Community: Issues, Outcomes, and Lessons Learned from the Experiences of Smallholder Vegetable Farmers in Barangay Marilog, Davao City, Philippines” by Oracion, HR, Aguinaldo, RT, Shuck, VA, Concepcion, SB, & Rivero, GG.
10. “Consumer Awareness and Willingness to Pay for Good Agricultural Practices- Certified Vegetables in Davao City, Philippines” by Villaruel, HB, Shuck, VA, Aguinaldo, RT, Oracion, HR, Concepcion, SB.
11. “The Effects of Altitude on the Probability, Productivity, and Technical Efficiency of Cacao Farmers in Calinan and Marilog Districts, Davao City, Philippines” by Durano, FLA, Alviola IV, PA, Digal, LN, Oponda, NB, & Sarmiento, JMP.
12. “Climate Change Awareness and Adaptation Strategies of Banana, Pineapple, and Mango Farmers in Northern and Southern Mindanao: A Qualitative Approach” by Wahing, GD, Romo, GDA, & Sarmiento, JMP.
13. “Sociodemographic Drivers of Resource Conflicts in Davao Region, Philippines” by Wabina, VER, Alviola IV, PA, Romo, GDA, & Sarmiento, JMP.
14. “Food Safety Awareness of Fish and Fishery Product Consumers in Davao City, Philippines” by Castro, MMC, Pabuayon, IM, Catelo, SP, & Camacho, JDV.
15. “Productivity and Profitability of Soybean in Cateel, Davao Oriental, Southern Philippines” by Ligue, KJB, Alviola IV, PA, Romo, GDA, Acuña, TR, Bangcaya, EJNE, Laorden, NL, & Regulacion, AN.
16. “A Supply Chain Analysis of the Soybean Industry in the Davao Region: Implications for Government Development Entry Points” by Romo, GDA, Shuck, VA, Wahing, GD, Acuña, TR, & Laorden, NL.
17. “Willingness to Participate in Coastal Resource Management: The Case of Coastal Communities in the Municipality of Lupon, Davao Oriental, Philippines” by Warguez, KA, Gomez, ALV, Montiflor, MO, & Aguinaldo, RT.
18. “Assessing Willingness of Coastal Communities to Participate in Coastal Resource Management in Padada, Davao del Sur, Philippines” by Ecoben, DWD, Gomez, ALV, Aguinaldo, RT, & Montiflor, MO.
19. “Utilization of Flour from Off-grade Unripe Cavendish Banana in Noodles and Baked Products” by Alviola, JNA, Aala, IRP, Delos Santos, KJL, Jayson, GAJ, Mendoza, MB, & Digal, LN.
20. “Road to Sustainability: Challenges in Getting Small Banana Growers in the Philippines Fairtrade-Certified” by Orbeta, MLG, Digal, LN, Astronomo, IJT, and Balgos, CQ.
21. “Consumer Behavior and Retail Outlet Choice for Fresh Meat in Panabo City, Philippines” by Padios, PAB, Romo, GDA, Sarmiento, JMP, & Alviola IV, PA.
22. “An Optimization Model for Processed Food-grade Flour from Off-grade Cavendish Banana Supply Chain Network Design: The Case of AMS Employees’ Fresh Fruit Producers Cooperative” by Gamot, RMT, Fordan, YC, Mata, MAE, & Digal, LN.
23. “Optimization of Cavendish Banana Flour Production: Anti- Browning Treatments and Drying Temperature Method” by Alviola, JNA, Baronia, HRSQ, Macaraig, PBA, Mendoza, MB, & Digal, LN.
24. “Outcomes of Extension Activities in the Livelihoods of Smallholder Vegetable Farmers: The Case of Sabang Association of Farmer Entrepreneurs (SAFE) in Marilog, Davao City, Philippines” by Rivero, GG, Oracion, HO, Aguinaldo, RT, Shuck, VA, & Concepcion, SB.
25. “Building a Sustainable Innovation Platform: The Case of Samal Island Golden Mango Industry Council in the Philippines” by Aguinaldo, RT, & Concepcion, SB.
26. “Implications of Gender Attribution for the Cacao Value Chain of Davao City, Southern Philippines” by Lopez, MA, Paunlagi, MM, Digal, LN, & Baconguis, RT.
27. “Factors Affecting the Willingness of Farmers to Sell Directly to Selected Direct Market Channels: The Case of Smallholder Vegetable Farmers in Marilog, Davao City, Philippines” by Garcia, MKF, Shuck, VA, Digal, LN, & Aguinaldo, RT.
28. “Socioeconomic Drivers of Application of Nitrates as a Curing Agent in Skinless Longganisa Processed Meat Production Sold in Bankerohan Public Market in Davao City, Philippines” [poster] by Lorilla, AP, Guiral, LH, Matullano, KR, Sarmiento, JMP, Tagubase, JLJ, Alviola IV, PA, & Obsioma, VP.
29. “Potential value-added products from Cardava (Musa acuminata x balbisiana) banana peels for sustainable consumption,” MM Martinez, DDM Dacera, and RGE Villame.
30. “Yield and Quality of Screenhouse Grown Radish (Raphanus sativus cv Everest F1) Under Various Compost Amendments,” by CSS Millado, ARA Macapeges, RG Abad, ERV Bayogan.
31. “Calloid Induction Using Different Sugar Sources and Culture Vessels of Cheaper Coconut Micropropagation,” by CSS Millado, SG Angkang, AGD Delima, AU Novero.
32. “Utilization of Durian Seed Flour in the Production of Brownies,” GFA Josol, RGE Villame, JNA Alviola, and DMN Del Mundo.
33. “Impacts of violent conflicts on the agricultural village of Taliwasa, Maguindanao, southern Philippines,” by HP Lozada.
34. “A tale of four institutions experience on implementing the LIFE model to conflict-vulnerable areas in the Philippine context,” by ASY Fuentes.
• N. Cabungcag, JHG Tolentino, RAS Francisco, AE De Cadiz. “Partial Purification of Potential Anti – Lung Cancer Compound from Bignoniaceae Plant Leaf.” [First Place Winner]
• PMND Estudillo, JHG Tolentino. “Antioxidant and Anti-Lung Cancer Properties Of Artocarpus Altilis (Breadfruit) And Artocarpus Odoratissimus (Marang) Fruit Wastes.” 1st International Research Conference on Healthcare Sciences. November 20-21, 2019. Tagum City DDN. [Third Place Winner]
• EEKG Buenaventura, JHG. Tolentino, AE De Cadiz. “Partial Purification of Potential Anti Lung Cancer Compound from a Malvaceae Plant Leaf Extract.”
• CM Senoc and NGV Fundador. “Potential of Starch-Based Films Containing Carvacrol For Controlling the Growth Of Escherichia Coli In Cheese.” [First Place- Poster Category]
• SL Palar, RGE Villame, AE de Cadiz and DMN Del Mundo. “Microbiological Quality of Canarium labiatum from the Community Fish Landing Area in Bgy Catagman, Samal Island, Davao del Norte.” [Third Place- Poster Category].
• ZC Sarillana, NGV Fundador and EOV Fundador. “Green Synthesis of Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles Using Cacao (Theobroma cacao L.) Pod Husk Extract and Evaluation of their Antibacterial Activities.” [Third Place Poster Category].
• HMB Gamolo, LAE Murao, MJMM Achondo, AE De Cadiz. “Identification of Gastrointestinal Bacteria from Bats in Malagos, Davao City.” 2nd Place Poster Presentation.
• NV Tampon, LAE Murao, "First Molecular Evidence of Bat BetaCoronavirus in Mindanao," Best Oral (1st place) Presentation.
Faculty members with significant roles in conferences:
• JI Rubrico. Plenary Speaker, 5th Balik-Scientist Program Convention. 22 November 2019. Pasay City. Presentation Title: “Helping the Nation survive and thrive by breathing - AIR”.
• NGV Fundador. Plenary Speaker- Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using plant extracts and evaluation of their antimicrobial properties. 24th Mindanao Convention and Scientific Meeting of the Philippine Society of Microbiology-Mindanao Chapter, 28-29 November 2019, General Santos City.
• AE De Cadiz. Chair, Working Committee. PSM Mindanao Seminar Workshop on Biosafety, 27 November 2019. Regional Science Research Center, Mindanao State University – General Santos City.
• L Leonardo, L Hernandez, TC Magturo, W. Palasi, JM Rubite, AE De Cadiz, K Moendeg, R Fornillos, IK Tabios, M Mistica, IK Fontanilla. Current Status of Neglected Tropical Diseases (NTDs) in the Philippines. Acta Tropica. 28 November 2019. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actatropica.2019.105284.
• Mindanawon writer among S.E.A.Write awardees for 2018 | MindaNews, 9 December 2019 http://bit.ly/353yKXF
• ACIAR and PCAARRD push for area-wide management of mango fruit fly, www.pcaarrd.dost.gov.ph, 5 December 2019 http://bit.ly/2Pjj8Zq
• PressReader - Sun.Star Davao: 2019-11-27 - 1st genomics facility in Mindanao takes off, Sun Star Davao, 2 December 2019 http://bit.ly/2YcInRd
• Missing link in health care, Inquirer Opinion, by Michael L. Tan, 2 December 2019 http://bit.ly/2RdDgie
• Anatomy of a track facility, Edge Davao, 28 November 2019, http://bit.ly/2QYEf5Y
• UP Min: Sports complex IAAF compliant, 27 November 2019, http://bit.ly/2Oplnvh
• Field of failure? Edge Davao, 26 November 2019, http://bit.ly/2XMx16b
• Response to the Article "Field of failure?" 26 November 2019 www.upmin.edu.ph http://bit.ly/2OlVZqb
• First of its kind genomics facility in Mindanao formally takes off, Mindanao Daily Mirror 26 November 2019 http://bit.ly/2QUb97B
• It’s a Blue Christmas @ Park Inn-Davao, Mindanao Times, 19 November 2019 http://bit.ly/2OnIx3H
• Int’l biodiversity confab kicks off in Mati City, Edge Davao, 17 November 2019 http://bit.ly/35aHE5y
• PressReader - Sun.Star Davao: 2019-11-08 - UPMin’s P12-B expansion program, 9 November 2019 http://bit.ly/2NSOXaN
• UP Mindanao needs P12.1-B to fund 5-year dev't plans, Tabloid Philippines, 8 November 2019 http://bit.ly/2oXiBDo
• UPMin needs P12-B for proposed programs, Mindanao Times, 8 November 2019 http://bit.ly/2PZdtd0
• UP Mindanao to propose P12B budget for manpower, program expansion, BusinessWorld Online, 8 November 2019 http://bit.ly/2qBBdJq
• Philippines Morning News for November 7, 2019, AEC News Today, http://bit.ly/34DPfcl
• Culture of volunteerism, SunStar Davao, 7 November 2019 http://bit.ly/2NQS3Mv
• CR7, RMC Solido post 2nd wins, lead 16th Acosta Cup, SunStar Davao, 7 November 2019 http://bit.ly/36LdMxU
• UPMin wants P12.1B additional budget for infra, MindaNews, 6 November 2019 http://bit.ly/2NIHWt6
• 31 rank Best Philippine Schools to Become a Chemical Technician for 2019, www.localpulse.net, 5 November 2019 http://bit.ly/2PTsm0F
• Dabawenya survives 4°C, wins gold in New York, SunstarDavao, 5 November 2019 http://bit.ly/2qhs3BT
• PressReader - Sun.Star Davao: Agribiz, Mindanao Studies Conferences in UPMin, 2 November 2019 http://bit.ly/2JJH9H9
UPMIN social media accounts (partial list, continued)