Events scheduled in October 2019 are, as follows:
5-6 October - UP College Admission Test
28-30 - Dula University sports festival, DC-UP Sports Complex Gym
28 - Signing of memorandum of agreement for the Mindanao Genomics Consortium, Room 227, College of Science and Mathematics, UP Mindanao
28 - Gender Sensitivity Training, Lorenzo Hall, 8AM-5PM
Highlights in October, to date, are:
- 4 October 2019 - UP Mindanao received top awards during the 9th Health Research and Development Expo competitions organized by the Regional Health Research and Development Consortium-XI held on 3-4 October 2019 in Davao City. For the Qualitative Research – Professional/Graduate category, Assistant Professor Kenette Jean Millondaga of the Department of Social Sciences won 1st place for her paper "Women and 'madness' in peasant communities in North Cotabato, Mindanao." For the Quantitative/Mixed Method – Undergraduate Category, received the first and third prizes: Marlon Enano (BS Biology 2019) and Zairel Crish Sarillana (BS Food Technology 2019), respectively. Enano’s paper entitled "Bioassay guided isolation of anti-lung cancer compounds from the leaves of DDHP-2095" is part of the UP Mindanao’s Discovery and Development of Health Products (DDHP) research project headed by Associate Professor Joel Hassan Tolentino (Department of Food Science and Chemistry) and Associate Professor Aleyla de Cadiz (Department of Biological Science and Environmental Studies). Sarillana’s paper entitled "Green synthesis of zinc oxide nanoparticles using cacao (Theobroma cacao L.) pod husk extract and evaluation of their anti-amicrobial activities" explores new areas in the continuing research of her adviser, Associate Professor Noreen Grace Fundador (Department of Food Science and Chemistry), on the use of waste from local bioresources to assist in the formation of nanoparticles with anti-microbial properties.
- 5-6 October 2019 - UP Mindanao served as UP College Admission Test Center for Davao City for some 1,182 applicants. Test Permits were issued by the Office of Admissions in UP Mindanao on 4 October 2019.
- 28 October 2019 - Secretary Fortunato de la Peña of the Department of Science and Technology and Chancellor Larry Digal of UP Mindanao formally opened the Philippine Genome Center-Mindanao Satellite Facility (PGC-MSF) at the College of Science and Mathematics, UP Mindanao. Davao City Mayor’s representative Lorraida Fabro, DOST-XI director Anthony Sales, PGC executive director Cynthia Saloma, and PGC-MSF director and UP Mindanao professor Lyre Anni Murao stood as witnesses. The Mindanao Genomics Consortium was formed on the same day with the signing of a memorandum of understanding by 14 research institutions from the academic, government, and industry sectors.
- Earlier, on 14 October, the PGC-MSF held its "2nd Region-Wide Caravan: Forum on Bringing Cutting-Edge Research to Mindanao" with the participation of state colleges and universities, higher education institutions, senior high schools, national government agencies, and industry from the Mindanao region.
- Equipment for the UP Mindanao Fermentation and Purification Laboratory arrived on 8 October 2019. This P12 million worth of equipment was donated by Monde Nissin Corporation, the industry partner of the project, “Fermentation and Purification Research to Produce Food-Grade, Pharmaceutical-Grade and Polymer-Grade Lactic Acid.” The equipment is now installed in the lab and the team is presently undergoing training on the use of the equipment. The project operation is supported by the DOST’s Collaborative Research And Development to Leverage the Economy (CRADLE) Program.
- All 20 BS Food Technology graduates registered a 100% passing rate for UP Mindanao in the October 2019 Licensure Examination for Chemical Technicians. The national passing rate is 81%, with 2,298 passers out of 2,834 takers in the country. This is the biggest batch of takers and passers from the among the UP Mindanao BSFT graduates.
- The School of Management (SOM) conducted a Workshop on Teaching Effectiveness Strategies last October 7, 2019 at Malagos Garden Resort. During the workshop, issues and recommendations to improve teaching effectiveness were identified by the faculty members. SOM organized a Brown Bag Seminar last October 22, 2019 at the University of the Philippines Mindanao. The event was conducted in preparation for the 9th International Conference on Agribusiness Economics and Management (ICAEM 2019). Paper presenters from SOM presented their papers in front of colleagues and received feedback on how to improve their oral presentation for the conference proper in November.
- The Department of Biological Sciences and Environmental Studies (DBSES) organized a Vulnerability Assessment of Coastal Areas in Davao Gulf to Climate Related Hazards on 3-4 October 2019 for some 50 planning officers of 4 provinces in Region XI.
- The Department of Food Science and Chemistry (DFSC) held their ASEAN Universities Network Quality Assurance (AUN-QA) Self-assessment and Faculty meeting on 7 October 2019.
- The Department of Humanities organized the Lectures on Critical and Discourse Analysis on 8 October 2019 for students and visiting academics. Professors Aileen Salonga and Alwin Aguirre (in photo, 3rd and 4th from left) of UP Diliman College of Arts and Letters were the resource speakers, seen here with faculty members (L-R) Lakan Umali, Jay Jomar Quintos, Samuelle Sanchez, and Farah Virador.
- DBSES organized a Module Writeshop on 18-19 October for teachers of science, math, and physics of indigenous peoples’ community schools from 3 provinces.
- The DFSC held an Orientation for their Masters of Science in Food Science on 26 October 2019 at the College of Science and Mathematics.
- The Office of Gender and Anti-Sexual Harassment (OGASH) organized the Gender Sensitivity Training on 28 October 2019 for faculty members. The training discussed the Basic Concepts of Sex and Gender, Women and Gender in History, Laws on Gender, and the UP Anti-Sexual Harassment Law.
Student public service
- Koro Kantahanay, the resident choir of UP Mindanao, was one of 52 choirs―and the only one from Mindanao―invited to perform at the Philippine Madrigal Singers or the Madz’s “MusiKapayapaan: Madz et al. Choral Festival 2019” held at the Cultural Center of the Philippines on 1–6 October 2019.
- The BA Communication and Media Arts (BACMA) program and the Communicators’ Guild student organization held the #SpeakUP Media Arts Boot Camp on 10-11 October 2019 at the campus for some 60 students from Mintal Comprehensive National High School, Holy Child College of Davao–Mintal Campus, Holy Cross of Mintal, and Los Amigos National High School.
- The Ladies Football Varsity and Siki ni Obli student organization organized the 17th Oscar Mora Cup and the 4th Doc Nat Cup football tournaments, named after two sports patrons of UP Mindanao, to be played on weekends from 19 October to 16 November 2019 at the Davao City-UP Sports Complex. The Oscar Mora Cup is a women's futsal competition while the Doc Nat Cup features boys under-13 and men's open categories.
- Students were awarded scholarships by the Vicente B. Bello Scholarship Program on 25 October 2019, witnessed by chancellor Larry Digal, scholarship administrator Prof. Ma. Gloria Talavera (at back, 2nd from right), and scholarships officer Analiza Fulvadora.
- Student Regent John Isaac B. Punzalan and Staff Regent Mylah R. Pedrano both visited UP Mindanao on 9 October 2019 to hold consultations and dialogues with their respective constituents.
- UP Mindanao hosted a meeting with Department of Tourism-XI Regional Director Tanya Rabat-Tan on 18 October 2019 to discuss the prospect of hosting the proposed DOT-XI cultural center on campus land to complement other upcoming campus projects.
- Three strong earthquakes hit Mindanao on 16, 29, and 31 October 2019. UP Mindanao constituents were evacuated, work and classes were suspended, and buildings were inspected and found structurally sound with a few minor cracks. The 16 October event cancelled a lecture on volunteerism by Dr. Grace Aguiling-Dalisay of Ugnayan ng Pahinungod.
- Dúlâ, the university sports festival, opened on October 2019 with flag-raising, athletics, and the power-dance competition. College of Science and Mathematics was over-all champion, with SOM/Administration as 1st runners-up and College of Humanities and Social Sciences as 2nd runner-up.