MINDANAO COVID-19 SITUATIONER
- President Rodrigo Duterte extended the general community quarantine in Davao City and other selected localities to January 31, 2021. City Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio likewise extended the city curfew up until 31 January 2021.
- As of 31 December 2020, Mindanao had a cumulative total of 40,001 cases, up from 33,998 cases on 05 December 2020. There are 3,913 active cases and 35,016 recovered cases.
- Mindanao-wide, the death toll has totaled 1,072 deaths, up from 910 deaths on 05 December 2020, and 585 deaths as of 31 October 2020.
- The nationwide total on 31 December 2020, by comparison, was 472,532 cases with 23,793 active cases, 439,509 recovered cases, and 9,230 deaths.
- (source: ncovtracker.doh.gov.ph)
The Philippine Genome Center (PGC) Mindanao is part of the UP TRAINS program, which assists the Department of Health in COVID-19 frontliner training with the UP National Institutes of Health (NIH) and Philippine Genome Center (PGC) as the training arms. Recently, PGC Mindanao trained frontliners from the Mayor Hilarion A. Ramiro Sr. Medical Center in Ozamiz City, Misamis Occidental, from the Phil. Red Cross Misamis Oriental-Cagayan de Oro Chapter, and from the Adela Serra Ty Memorial Medical Center in Tandag City, Surigao del Sur.
PUBLIC SERVICE AND KNOWLEDGE CREATION
The UP Mindanao Ugnayan ng Pahinungod participated in the National Volunteer Month kick-off event “Mga Kwento ng Pahinungod,” held online on 01 December 2020. President Danilo Concepcion had revived the Pahinungod in May 2019 and Ugnayan ng Pahinungod System Director Dr. Grace Aguiling-Dalisay gave a two-year update report. Dr. Emil Q. Javier, Pahinungod founder and event keynote speaker, recalled the establishment of Kidawa high school in present-day Davao de Oro, which was testified by community partner Dr. Norman Jandog, the former school principal. Mr. Michael Gatela, former Kidawa high school volunteer and present UP Mindanao Pahinungod director, gave the closing remarks, saying, “Makibahagi At Maglingkod! Ituloy Ang Kwento Ng Pahinungod! Ipagpatuloy Ang Kwento Ng Boluntarismo!”
The UP Mindanao Pahinungod made a call for Psychological First Aid Volunteers and delivered a Psychological First-Aid Webinar on 05 December 2020 with the Ugnayan ng Pahinungód Committee on Psychosocial Emergency Services (UP CoPES). Though intended for the UP Mindanao community, the call attracted persons from another university, eventually culminating with 12 new volunteers, including a medical doctor, an anthropologist, and some university peer-counselors. (Graphic from UPMin Pahinungod)
The Office of Extension delivered an Online Sensory Evaluation Training on 12 and 14 December 2020 for Millennium Specialty Coco Products, Inc., a producer of desiccated coconut products in the Davao Region. Faculty members from the Department of Food Science and Chemistry (DFSC), led by department chairperson Prof. Juma Novie Alviola, provided the expertise. (Image from UP Min OECS)
The Department of Human Kinetics (DHK) organized the Forum on the Proposed Associate in Arts Sports Studies and Bachelor of Sports Science Degree on 05 December 2020 to prepare to offer these programs in Academic Year 2021 – 2022. Sports personalities from the city government, the secondary schools, and SEA Games athlete and UP Mindanao alumna Mary Pauline Fornea shared experiences and gave updates on sports developments from their respective sectors.
On 14 December 2020, the DHK fielded a survey directed to senior high school students to gather data on students interested in pursuing higher education and careers in sports. With the construction of the Davao City-UP Sports Complex within its campus, UP Mindanao is in a position to provide support for the development of sports in Mindanao. (Graphics from DHK)
Philippine Genome Center (PGC) Mindanao joined the OnePGC: PGC in Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao #ParaSaBayan virtual conference on 10 December 2020. The conference celebrated the PGC teamwork and Bayanihan spirit to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in 2020. The conference also recognized the partners and stakeholders from Luzon, Visayas, and Mindanao who helped in the national call for increased capacity for COVID-19 testing in the country. (Graphic from PGC)
UP Mindanao organized a second forum on the health care gaps in Mindanao on 16 December 2020. The online forum “Bridging the Health Care Gaps in Mindanao through Medical Education” discussed the elements of a prospective curriculum for a proposed UP Mindanao College of Medicine that fits the health needs of Mindanao. UP Executive Vice President Teodoro Herbosa, MD, a medical advisor of the National Task Force on COVID-19, gave an inspirational message. The resource speakers were Dean Cenon Alfonso of the Ateneo de Manila University School of Medicine, Dean Filedito Tandinco of the UP Manila School of Health Sciences, Dean Charlotte Chiong of UP College of Medicine, and Dr. Cristina Achacoso, former dean of the Mindanao State University College of Medicine. Participants to the forum were Provincial Health Officers, City Health Officers, and Municipal Health Officers of Regions XI and XII, UP Mindanao alumni, and partners.
Radyo Iskolar, an online radio project of BA Communication and Media Arts (BACMA) students under adviser Ms. Merle Dawn Comidoy-Acol of the Humanities department, produced a series of radio documentaries on Filipino realities during the COVID19 pandemic. These were aired on 16 and 18 December 2020 via https://mixlr.com/radyo_iskolar. Radyo Iskolar also had weekly broadcasts in October-November 2020 with news, music, and talk shows. The project is part of the Academic Program Improvement (API) project titled, "COVID-19 Communication Awareness and Public Service." (Graphic from Radyo Iskolar)
"Langkub," a documentary by BACMA students, competed in the 18th Mindanao Film Festival. The documentary features individuals from indigenous peoples’ groups and their views on modernity’s impact on their culture and traditions. The documentary project also served as a fundraising event for the production partners, the Lumad-Bisaya students of Kanacan National High School in Marilog, Davao City.
The UP Mindanao Debate Society contingent in the 42nd Mindanao Parliamentary Debate Championship, 05-06 December 2020.
Rey Anthony Porras (2 BACMA)
Isi Dos Remedios (2 BSB)
Frederick Omalza (BSB 2019)
Michael John Galendez (3 BSABE)
Alex John Labanon (3 BSAM)
Nathalia Alawan (3 BSABE)
UP Mindanao's Koro Kantahanay performed in "Pasko Na! Pasko Na!" an Online Blended Performance led by the UP Symphony Orchestra on 23 December 2020. The Koro sang “Kasadya ning Paskoha (sa takna sa COVID-19),” an adaptation of “Kasadya Ning Taknaa” by Vicenti D. Rubi. "Pasko Na! Pasko Na!" was available for viewing online until 02 January 2021. The Koro performance may be viewed here: https://fb.watch/2YUzyA6Xs4/
Prof. Emma Ruth Bayogan of the Department of Biological Science and Environmental Studies (DBSES) was a plenary speaker in the “Community-based interventions for inclusive development in the time of COVID-19,” a mini-conference organized by the UPLB College of Human Ecology (CHE), and held online on 07 December 2020 via Zoom. Prof. Bayogan presented the following papers as a program leader of “Enhancing livelihood opportunities in conflict-vulnerable areas in Mindanao through the LIFE (Livelihood Improvement through Facilitated Extension) Model”:
● “Adaptive Approaches in the Use of the LIFE Model in Conflict-Vulnerable Areas During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” by EV Bayogan, AY Fuentes, KS Sigue, JD Ignacio, HP Lozada, MO Orbeta, N Jalandoni, JP Esparagoza, RU Guillermo, ML Handa, ER Nasam, TN Ballener, N Cordero, MJ Titan, and M Sangki
● “Pagbinuliganay: The Role of Social Capital Among Farmers in Conflict-Vulnerable Areas of Mindanao During the COVID-19 Pandemic,” by ASY Fuentes, EV Bayogan, N Jalandoni, JP Esparagoza, RU Guillermo, ML Handa, ER Nasam, TN Ballener, N Cordero, MJ Titan, and M Sangki
● “Pagtambayayong: The Importance of Institutional Support and Partnership During COVID-19 Crisis in Conflict-Vulnerable Areas of Mindanao,” by HP Lozada, EV Bayogan, ASY Fuentes, N Jalandoni, JP Esparagoza, RU Guillermo, ML Handa, ER Nasam, and TN Ballener
● “The Flexibility and Adaptability of Site Facilitators of the PULL Program during the COVID-19 Pandemic,” by KS Sigue, EV Bayogan, AY Fuentes, JD Ignacio, MO Orbeta, and HP Lozada (Graphic from www.uplb.edu.ph)
Assistant Professor Micah Amor P. Yares of the Department of Architecture (DA) was 1st Runner-Up and Best in Graduate Thesis in the Davao Unity Awards for “Residential satisfaction and public perception of socialized housing in Davao City: Implications for regulatory policies (2019).” The Davao Unity Awards, held on 18 December 2020, was organized by the Davao City Government for city offices to collaborate with the academic sector. (Graphic from the Davao City Government)
Associate Professor Karen Joyce Cayamanda of the Dept. of Humanities was awarded Most Outstanding Research in the Humanities and Social Sciences track for her paper, “Vulnerability profile and risk perception towards an inclusive DRR for the flood-vulnerable communities of Davao City.” The award was given at the 1st International Conference on Multidisciplinary Industry and Academic Research - 2020, organized by the Institute of Industry and Academic Research Inc. (IIARI), and held online on 12 December 2020.
Faculty members also provided their expertise as a public service to various groups:
● Assoc. Prof. Lyre Anni Murao (DBSES) shared information on bats in the GMA-TV program “Born to Be Wild” episode of 23 November 2020. (Image-grab from “Born To Be Wild”)
● Asst. Prof. Thaddeus Acuña, School of Management (SOM), Resource Speaker, “Enterprise Development Training on Business Model Canvas,” DTI -RAPID Program, Nabunturan, Davao de Oro, 03-04 December 2020
● Asst. Prof. Aurelia Luzviminda Gomez (SOM):
○ Resource Person, “Handling Academic and Administrative Issues,” Wesleyan University-Philippines, 11 December 2020 via Zoom.
○ Technical Evaluator, Higher Education in the Context of Bangsamoro Organic Law (HECBOL) Project, CHED Region XI, 02 December 2020
● Asst. Prof. Imee Marie Acopiado (SOM), Resource Speaker:
○ “Marketing Strategies towards Globally-Competitive Enterprise,” University of Southeastern Philippines (USEP)-College of Development Management, 21 December 2020 via Zoom
○ “Business Model and Business Proposal Writing,” UPGRADE-TBI Online Pre-Incubation Program, 15-16 December 2020 via Zoom
• Assoc. Prof. Raymundo R. Pavo (Dept. of Social Sciences), Resource Speaker:
o Gender and Development Orientation, Dept. of Public Works and Highways (DPWH)-Region XI, 15 December 2020
o Gender Sensitivity Training, DPWH-XI, 16-18 December 2020
Publications and Presentations
Research papers were published in peer-reviewed publications:
- “Stress Inoculation Training on State-Trait Anxiety of High-Stress Senior College Students,” by Bersamin, R.A. (Dept. of Social Sciences [DSS]), and Posadas, F.C. (2020). Proceedings of ADVED 2020- 6th International Conference on Advances in Education, 274–283. https://doi.org/10.47696/adved.2020109
- “Effect of rapid hot water treatment on some postharvest quality characteristics of Philippine ‘Carabao’ mango (Mangifera indica L.),” by MO Pasilan, LB Secretaria, EV Bayogan (DBSES), CS Lubaton, DD Dacera (DFSC), JH Ekman. 2020. Southwestern Journal of Horticulture, Biology and Environment 11(2):97-109. Art. No. e20108.
- “Postharvest quality of ‘Carabao’ mango as affected by spun-bound bagging materials,” by LB Secretaria, EV Bayogan, CD Lubaton, A Notarte, JH Ekman. 2021. Chiang Mai University Journal of Natural Science 20(1). 10 pp. https://doi.org/10.12982/CMUJNS.2021.007
- “Socio-spatial processes in the construction of low-income housing towards climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction,” by Malaque, I. (DA), & Golimlim, A. D. (2019). Proceedings of the International Conference of Architectural Science Association, 441–450.
- “Assessment of mangrove species diversity in Banaybanay, Davao Oriental, Philippines,” by Pototan, B. L., Capin, N. C., Delima, A. G. D. (DBSES), & Novero, A. U. (DBSES). 2021. Biodiversitas, 22(1), 144–153. https://doi.org/10.13057/biodiv/d220120
- “Diel movement patterns of Pacific sugar limpet, Patelloida saccharina (Gastropoda : Patellogastropoda : Lottiidae) in response to semi-diurnal tides Diel movement patterns of Pacific sugar limpet, Patelloida saccharina (Gastropoda : Patellogastropoda),” by Zapanta, E. Y., Fortaleza, M., Elumba, M., Uy, R. C. L., & Nañola Jr, C. L. (DBSES). 2020. Raffles Bulletin of Zoology, 68, 870–879. https://doi.org/10.26107/RBZ-2020-0095
- “Between Buildings and Streets: Understanding the Four Major Urban Green Spaces (UGS) in Davao City, Philippines,” by Songcayauon, RC (DA), United Architects of the Philippines Journal: Beyond Vision 2020, 01 December 2020. https://www.united-architects.org/publications/uap-journal/
- “Exploring Political Participation and Leadership Approach of Women Political Leaders in Mindanao,” by Pavo, RR (DSS), and Tamayo-Gutierrez, MH. Review of Women’s Studies, 15 December 2020. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1nD3_5um3WUCB-VYTVs280iTRn7-FnN2k/view
Papers presented by Prof. Bayogan during the Asian Horticultural Congress 2020, Bangkok, Thailand. 14-17 Dec 2020:
● (Oral Paper). “Roles of site facilitators in improving farm income by vegetable growing in South Cotabato and Maguindanao, Philippines using the Livelihood Improvement through Facilitated Extension (LIFE) Model,” by KS Sigue, EV Bayogan, HP Lozada, AY Fuentes, MO Orbeta, JD Ignacio.
● (Poster Paper) “Quality of ‘Lakatan’ banana (Musa sapientum) using 1-methylcyclopropene,” by JR Warain, EV Bayogan, AD Delima, RG Abad, AT Lacap.
● (Poster paper) “Non-destructive methods of detection of granulation in ‘Magallanes’ pummelo fruit,” by G Panong, LB Secretaria, EV Bayogan, JJ Tagubase.
Ms. Marilou Montiflor (SOM) presented the following papers in the “1st Top of Mind International Conference: Human Empowerment Overdrive, Maximizing Gains for 2021,” an online conference organized by the Governometrics Management Consultancy Services and held on 11-12 December 2020:
● “Rolling with the Punches: How We Got Through 2020” by MO Montiflor
● “Living in High-Risk Areas: Local Government Response to COVID-19” by MO Montiflor and Tanya Valeria Concepcion
Prof. Bayogan attended the APO (Asian Productivity Organization) Workshop on Advanced Postharvest Technologies for Horticultural Crops, hosted in Pakistan on 01-03 December 2020 via Zoom.
OPTIMIZE USE OF RESOURCES
The University Library announced the availability of the following new ProQuest database subscriptions as of December 2020:
● ProQuest - https://search.proquest.com/?accountid=47253
● ProQuest One Academic - https://search.proquest.com/pq1academic?accountid=47253
● Ebook Central - https://ebookcentral.proquest.com/lib/Updiliman
● Academic Video Online - http://search.alexanderstreet.com/avon
The Interactive Learning Center/Learning Resource Center (ILC/LRC) organized “Welcome Canvas: A Learning Management System Launching and Year-end Report” on 18 December 2020 via Zoom. Canvas is UP Mindanao's own Virtual Learning Platform. The event features were:
● Results of the Remote Learning Survey for Students and Faculty
● Launching of Canvas, its features and benefits for teachers and students
● Schedule of Canvas Training for the faculty and students
● A year-end message for the community from the Learning Management System (LMS) Project Management Team
Faculty members also attended the various training and orientations provided in December:
● Faculty Orientation (01 Dec.)
● Instructor Training Session (02 Dec.)
● Instructor’s Workflow Training (03 Dec.)
● Turnitin Webinar (04 Dec.)
The SOM also organized the following forums:
● NViVo Training with Dr. Nicamil Sanchez as the resource person, 23 November 2020
● SOM Writeshop, 03 December 2020
● Strategic Planning Workshop on 17 December 2020, which was a continuation of the planning workshops done on 10 and 13 November 2020
The Office of the Vice-Chancellor for Administration organized capability-building for administrative staff:
● Procurement Webinar on 02 and 04 December 2020 with former faculty member Antonio Obsioma as the resource person.
● The Office Communication Webinar on 11 and 17 December 2020 with VC Karen Cayamanda (Dept. of Humanities).
The Technology Business Incubation (TBI) unit of UP Mindanao, UP Growing and Developing Enterprises or UPGraDE, held its year-end strategic planning on 18-19 December 2020 in Davao City. Representatives from different sectors, such as the Dept. of Trade and Industry (DTI), met the first batch of incubatees to evaluate the startup projects and prepare for their launch in 2021. The UPGraDE TBI’s current service delivery was also evaluated for improvement and to prepare for the next cohort of incubatees. (Photo from UPGraDE)
WELFARE OF CONSTITUENTS
The Administrative Services expedited and disbursed the various financial benefits in December:
● Grocery Allowance
● Productivity Enhancement Incentive (PEI)
● Cash Assistance for Economic Hardship Caused by COVID-19 Pandemic
● Collective Negotiation Agreement (CNA) for FY 2020
● Service Recognition Incentive (SRI) for FY 2020
● Course Pack Incentive for 1st Semester, AY 2020-2021 for selected faculty members
● Internet Subsidy for November and December
The Annual Physical Exam (APE) 2020 for employees was held on 15 December 2020 at the Atrium of the Administration Building. Transportation was provided for personnel from the highway to the campus, and physical distancing was observed throughout. The medical consultations were held on 21 December 2020 where staff members had one-on-one consultations with the designated physicians via Zoom. (Image from HRD)
The Office of Student Affairs (OSA) Counseling and Testing Section produced and rolled-out the “Mental Health Guidebook” on 14 December 2020. Hard copies were distributed to personnel and a soft copy was uploaded to the website.
The ongoing UP Mindanao Helpline had one additional student who registered in December 2020 and was referred to the Phil. Mental Health Association Davao Chapter, a partner of the Helpline.
The Virtual Kasadya 2020, Christmas celebration for students and staff, was held on 22 December 2020 on the theme, "Ni’ng taknáa, ipadáyon náto ang diláab sa pagláum, pinaági sa pag-serbísyo ug pag-higúgma!" (“This yuletide season let us keep the spirit of hope burning through acts of service and compassion!”). The virtual event was a substitute for the traditional annual Christmas lantern parade. The graphic design was created by BACMA students Marriel Gamaya and Maryll Delposo.
Chancellor Larry Digal, in his message, reported on the year’s highlights. He said that undergraduate enrollment increased by 33% and post-graduate enrollment by about 23%. Research papers were published in high-quality journals, and external research funds have increased. The Dept. of Science and Technology (DOST) approved UP Mindanao’s Niche Center in the Regions (NICER) program on interdisciplinary diseases modeling. PGC Mindanao expanded its network through its efforts in establishing COVID-19 testing facilities. The UP Mindanao’s public service programs focused on addressing the pandemic, which, aside from COVID-19 testing laboratories, have contributed to policy discussions by modeling the spread of COVID-19 and helping Micro-, Small Medium Enterprises (MSME) to recover from the pandemic. The Mindanao Health Initiative, one of the priorities for 2020 and onwards, saw some developments towards the proposed College of Medicine, the Davao City-UP Hospital, and the Mindanao Center for Infectious Diseases. In processes and systems, improvements were made in the planning and monitoring systems. The administration distributed copies of the 2019-2023 Strategic Plan and the Campus Master Development Plan (CMDP) to constituents for feedback. Some changes have been made in the organizational structure to improve performance.